Can I Get A UK Fiancé Visa?

  • Posted on
Can I Get A UK Fiancé Visa?

If you and your fiancé want to relocate to the UK to begin your new life together, and your partner is based in the UK already, you may be eligible for a fiancé visa. The fiancé visa or family visa allows non-EEA nationals to enter the UK for up to six months to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their fiancé.

There are several eligibility requirements, but most importantly, your fiancé must be a UK citizen or a person with settled status in the UK. This article looks at the requirements for a fiancé visa to help you understand whether you might be eligible.


Am I Eligible For A UK Fiancé Visa?

To make a successful fiancé visa application, both you and your fiancé must meet certain requirements as follows:

  • You and your partner must be aged 18 or over.
  • Your fiancé must be a UK citizen or have settled status in the UK.
  • You must intend to get married within six months - this is the validity period of the UK fiancé visa.
  • You must be planning to live in the UK with your partner after you are married.
  • You must demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourselves. This means that you must be able to show that you have a combined income of at least £18,600 per year.
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you have suitable accommodation to live in in the UK, including for dependents if you have any.
  • If you are moving from a non-English speaking country, you must be able to prove that you can understand and communicate in English. You must take a SELT test and be able to demonstrate language skills to the level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.


How Long Does A UK fiancé Visa Last?

If you are granted a UK fiancé visa, this will be valid for six months. The assumption is that you will marry your partner within these six months.

If your wedding is delayed due to Covid-19, there may be exemptions. After the six month period has expired, you must apply for another visa to remain in the UK. You may transition to a spouse visa if you have got married in the six month visa period.

A spouse visa grants 30 months of residence in the UK, and at that time, you may seek employment or study in the UK without restriction.

Speak to one of our family law experts today if you are looking for advice and guidance with a Fiancé Visa.

    Get in touch